Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pilgrim

I started reading the book, "Pilgrim's Progress," this last week.  For those of you unfamiliar with this piece of literature, a man by the name of "Christian" is on a journey to get rid of a heavy burden that he physically carries with him.  His life, as told through an epic story line, portrays the events that a Christian in our world faces daily.  I find myself intrigued with this book even though I am only 2 chapters.

I really won't bore you with a dissertation of my readings thus far, however, I mention this book because of something that happens to "Christian" multiple times during his journey.  Christian gets side tracked on multiple occasions by both people and things.  I could relate to this character because it happens to all of us.  We set out meaning to live a great and wholesome life, but we get side tracked many times.  The straight and narrow path of God's grace is not easy to follow by any means.  If it were then the Earth really wouldn't need to exist, and you would see me flying around as one of those cute cherubs with bright white wings and cute red cheeks.  To some that would be a scary thought........ My point is this, no matter how many times we stray from the path of righteousness, God always gives us that mulligan, second chance, or whatever you want to call it.  Don't think you are too far gone from His grace.  He always provides the opportunity, the question is whether we can get past ourselves to accept it.

The Parable of the Wandering Sheep
    10 “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven. [11] [a]
   12 “What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? 13 And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. 14 In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish.

No comments:

Post a Comment