Monday, August 22, 2011

Emotions Running Wild

Some years ago I was attending a training course in Chesapeake, Virginia.  The humidity was bad enough to make you sweat just walking from the shower to your room.  Despite the uncomfortable climate, things were pretty good back then.  I am half Italian and half Scotch-Irish by decent, so take a moment to imagine the emotions and attitude wrapped up into that package.  As a wee Cifu I gave my parents a run for their money!  Things didn't change even after I got out of high school, it was just some different that now had the opportunity to fully embrace my attitude and emotions.  A few months after arriving in Virginia I called my Mom one day and had a game changing conversation.  She told me that she was at the tail end of receiving treatment for breast cancer.  My mind was free falling when I heard the words.  My emotions were running wild as I began my self serving reply, "Why did you keep this from me?  When did all of this happen?"  Compassion for the incredible woman who raised and loved me was no where to be found.  I proceeded to neglect her feelings so I could find out information which was irrelevant at that very moment.  It's a crazy trip that our emotions can take us on from time to time.  Often we allow feelings to dictate our actions.  What we think are intelligent choices are often immature actions conjured up from our own self fulfilling notions.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7 ESV

Involving God in daily decisions and actions is the control mechanism for our emotions. 

Galatians 5
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment