Friday, July 15, 2011

Slow

James 1:19-21
19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. 21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

I read this verse on facebook this morning.  It was pretty incredible to hear those words because there are times I let stress and frustration take over my thoughts and responses to certain situations.  Notice the only thing that is "quick" in these verses is the listening part.  All I need is to open an ear and take in every word.  I totally fit the stigma of the guy that wants to be the "problem solver" when all that is really needed is to just be there.

I can remember a time in high school when I had all the answers and I ran at the mouth way too much.  One night after a church Christmas performance I was being my typical self and I thought I would open my mouth and fire back at another guy after he hurt my pride.  Well, I just happen to mention his Mom in a vulgar manner and I found myself with a face full of fist.  Did I deserve it, YES!  I am thankful for experiences like this, no matter how painful.  As humans we are designed to display outward displays of emotion, but it's not a golden ticket to take the filter from our mouths or show some sort of patience and due diligence.  "Slow" is the word of the day.......embrace it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment