Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Being Heard

I had a thought the other day while pondering how God speaks to us.  I have spoken to many people out there who have been deeply moved in some way by God's voice in their life.  Some of us get an ominous feeling; others tend to have visions, dreams or intense thoughts of God speaking to them.  How incredible would it be to sit in a random place and have God just appear to you and chat it up?  It’s like a thousand times better than having the Schwan’s guy show up on your door step and tell you that anything on his truck is yours for free. It doesn't even compare though..... 
There are those Christians out there that grade their relationship and level of commitment by the “messages” or feelings they receive from God.  I know there have been several times when I have become dismayed because I did not experience some incredible moving feeling inside me.  I used to think that my relationship with God was poor because I didn't get that "special feeling."  It took a long time to figure out that God is here speaking to me even when I don’t get a physical or mental communique.  He speaks to me through the bible, His everlasting word. 
All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16,17).
So do we need to wait for God to speak with us, or can we simply talk with Him whenever we feel the need?  The latter of these two concepts is the correct answer.  Prayer is such an under rated and underutilized tool these days.  Do you wait for the doctor to come to you when you are sick, or do you go to him/her?  When you needed money from your parents, did you expect them to come to you or did you go to them?  And when you wanted to go to that concert, did the band come perform at your house or did you have to go see them?  I know God is standing next to me because I feel the need to just get down on my knees and pray from time to time.  Moral of the story: God is in each of our lives though we can’t always hear Him, touch Him, or see Him.  All we need to do is speak and He will hear.

Psalm 32:1-11

 1 Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the one whose sin the LORD does not count against them and in whose spirit is no deceit.
 3 When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night your hand was heavy on me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer.
 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity.  I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD.”  And you forgave the guilt of my sin.
 6 Therefore let all the faithful pray to you while you may be found; surely the rising of the mighty waters
   will not reach them.
7 You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
 8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
9 Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle
   or they will not come to you.
10 Many are the woes of the wicked, but the LORD’s unfailing love surrounds the one who trusts in him.
 11 Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment